Mark Zuckerberg ALWAYS costs us money.

So I didn’t post last night as I’ve been quite sick this weekend. I apologize for my tardiness, as I sure most of you were perched next to your laptops/iPads waiting for 10pm to arrive.

I thought about doing a post about the pope retiring/quitting, but hey, he’s the pope so he can do whatever he wants, right?

So this week I’m posting about the fact that Mark Zuckerberg costs us money constantly. We get a FB account and invariably it costs us money. We buy apps, music, ringtones, and somehow it’s probably connected to our obsession with social media (which is some way or another is connected to Zuckerberg).

Another case in point, read this ARTICLE about a dad who paid his 14-year old daughter to deactivate her FB account. Yeah, you heard me right. This dad paid his daughter $200 to get off of FB. Thoughts?

Another interesting finding was the fact that 61% of FB users have taken a break from FB for at least 2 weeks. How many of you have been able to NOT use FB at for 2 weeks (come on be honest). Just wondering.

12 responses to “Mark Zuckerberg ALWAYS costs us money.”

1. Ariana Hansen says:

Paying someone to do something only can “fix the problem” for so long. I don’t know why the father believes that his daughter should deactivate her account because she can clearly make another account at any time. Bribing her with money only shows the daughter that money can buy anything. If the father really believed that Facebook was wrong or not healthy for his daughter, he would parent her efficiently and not make any rewards out of it.

2. Mariah Galarza says:

I found this article hilarious for so many reasons, first off most parents are not going to pay their child to deactivate any page they may have on a social network. To prevent this issue, monitoring your child’s usage on the internet is the best method. Yes, it is hard with the many influences around but it is all about the parenting methods. Secondly, bribing your child once will only lead to him/her making a habit of that type of negotiating when it comes to other issues. Lastly, even with the contract and the girl actually deactivating her page does not mean she could not create another account, also what is 4 months of deactivating her page supposed to solve? Now this father/ daughter will gain a lot of publicity off an unreliable agreement. This was a good topic, I mentioned this to my friends and professors just to see their reactions.

3. Joey Pierron says:

I also found this to be quite funny. I agree with the idea that money can only do so much. Overall though, I found this to be quite sad when I was thinking about it. I would presume that most people couldn’t go two weeks without going on Facebook. However, isn’t it even sadder that we would have to try to go two weeks without Facebook to prove it to ourselves? Just something to think about, I myself go on Facebook everyday, it seems to be a habit. I’ve read various articles linking Facebook to narcissistic tendencies. For example, if someone posts a status, and in return receives many “likes” it may enhance their self-esteem to the point that they consistently make statuses for the sole reason that people “like” them. For example, I have a friend who will literally text me to “like” his status… Are you kidding me? If I actually tried to not use Facebook for two weeks, i’m sure I could do it, but then again I have never tried…

4. Amber Nichols says:

I think it’s definitely one way of getting your daughter of Facebook for an extended period of time. I think there are definitely other ways of going about it, but this way will show the daughter that she can survive without going on facebook, establish a sense of trust between the family, because yes she can create another account, but wouldn’t that break their agreement and if the dad were to find out about the second account the daughter probably wouldn’t get paid. So it also shows the daughter the importance of legal agreements. The father is a research consultant so I’m sure he has his reasons for doing things this way. I, personally, think this is a fun and creative way of going about it. I wouldn’t make a habit out of it, but I think for now it could be harmless. I have gone a few weeks without a facebook account in the past because I wanted/needed to take a break from it. It was harder then I thought it would be at first, but got easier after the first few days.

5. Taysia Justus says:

This article struck me as funny as well. I agree with the comment that there are other ways to get your daughter off Facebook and that’s called parenting, not bribery. Not many years ago, Facebook was meant for college students to network with each other, and now it’s been changed into a controversial teen/tween craze that has led to many problems. I think that the father is being very naive if he believes that his daughter will stay off Facebook completely. It’s easy as 1 2 3 for his daughter to go right back on and create a new account. I, myself would say that I am addicted to Facebook. It’s a harsh reality. I have a subconscious thinking that as soon as I open the Internet browser I automatically check my Facebook. The longest I have been without would be a couple of days. It’s an unfortunate truth.

6. Jessica Ortiz says:

I think this article is funny because of how the father went about on the situation. Bribbing your daughter to deactivate her FB account because of his beliefs. He just need to parent his daughter not brib her because that is just a negative way of trying to “solve” the situation. If he strongly feel a certain way about FB then he needs to tell his daughter with a good arguement on why he doesnt like it and why she shouldnt be using FB.

7. Laura Schwartz says:

I thought this article was pretty interesting. It goes to show that money can really buy a lot of things, including breaking habits of 14 year old girls. Sure, it makes the daughter stay off Facebook for a considerable amount of time, but, after that time period is over, will the father still have to pay the daughter to do or don’t do other things? Bribing does not always solve the world’s problems. It may work for the short term, but eventually that daughter might get it stuck in her head that her father will pay her to do things. This is not really teaching the daughter anything except that she can probably get more money out of her father by signing agreements to do or not do what the father wants. I, myself, have never really tried to not go on Facebook because I do go on frequently and it helps me to stay in contact with high school friends. It’s a sad truth that now that the internet can be connected to phones and other devices, that people are on it almost constantly and, in some cases, are more concerned about what is going on in the Facebook world than what is happening around them.

8. Kirstyn Behling says:

I don’t really know what I think about this article. I’m mostly wondering what made it get to the point of paying a kid to get off of Facebook. I also find it pretty harmless, I guess, considering my cousin went until his senior year of high school until getting a Facebook for the sole purpose of staying in touch with people before he goes off to college. I don’t think this guy is a bad parent, I don’t think there’s any harm in it, and the kid gets two hundred bucks out of it. I’m not saying he’s a great parent, but this is fine. I went to school with a kid who got paid fifty bucks for every “A” he got on his report card, granted he was more of a “D” and “C” student and I was an “A” and “B” student and got “proud of you” instead of money, but you get my point. Different parents do things differently, so unless this is hurting the kid then he doesn’t really deserve to get called a bad parent. When it comes to me and Facebook, I’m not addicted to it but I do check it on a regular basis. I have the app on my iPod, I check it while I’m on my laptop, but it’s mostly just for funny pictures and sharing stuff to make my friends laugh. Longest I’ve gone without checking my Facebook is probably a couple of weeks, nothing special.

9. Richard Birkholz says:

May-be I`m just old school, but over the time that facebook has become main stream I heve seen many people lose thier jobs because of the coments that they post, to include going to jail and put on the FBI watch list. What I am trying to say is ” How much is to much” What the father should have done is just locked out facebook by changing the perental perameters of what can be viewed. I do not have Facebook and never will because it is just invasion of privacy. (my opinion)

10. Kate Hazelbauer says:

This article was particularly entertaining to me. First of all, I would like to know why, exactly, does this father want his daughter off of Facebook? And why for only five months? and why did he think that paying her would be a good idea? Granted, monetary bribery is very effective with teenagers but there has to be another way to get his daughter off of Facebook….He could have taken away her computer or even just deleting her account with out the bribery–she would have been mad at him but she would learn from the experience that she did something wrong (or her beliefs are different from her father’s) and now, without her Facebook account, she is dealing with her punishment but since he bribed her with $200, she’s not going to learn the lesson.

11. Jenna Otterholt says:

I don’t think any parent should pay their kids for anything unless it is giving them money for the “toothfairy” or if they do chores. There are other ways to have kids stay off of facebook. I don’t think bribing them is the right choice. If I was a parent, I would only let my kid go on facebook for a certain period of time at certain times of the day. It is sad to see that instead of kids going outside to build a snowman, they sit inside on the computer instead. I hope I don’t allow that when I have kids. Facebook is taking over the world though. I have an account and I am on it daily. I do think that I could go an extended period of time without it. I usually don’t go on for weeks on end in the summer time. When at school, though, everyone is on their computers/cellphones/ipads which makes me want to be on mine as well.

12. Kelsey Holmes says:

I find this story to be quite interesting. I think it is funny that her dad paid her $200 dollars to quit using Facebook, but I do not think it is a bad thing. I understand the social media can be a not so good thing, but I also do not find Facebook to be a huge problem. I think if she was constantly on Facebook or was having problems with people on the social media and things were being said that shouldn’t have, then it is a good idea to get off and stay off of Facebook. It can definitely be a problem when it comes to getting jobs later in life. Employers will look you up on Facebook and other social media sites, and sometimes that is the determining factor of whether you get the job or not. I personally have not stayed off of Facebook for 2 weeks straight, but I do not constantly use it either. I sometimes go 2 days without going on, it just depends on how busy I am. I think a lot of people would have a hard time staying off of Facebook, as it is a way to talk with friends and stay updated on “what’s going on.”