It is for several reasons that I am dedicating this post to the importance of water. Here at Frugal Food, overall health is extremely important and it must be emphasized why staying hydrated is a priority. In all reality, water is a complete miracle drinks. It can be easy to neglect your H20 by forgetting or opting for different drinks like soda or iced coffee. But, fear not! I have three easy tips and reasons as to why water should be your choice of drink.
1. Say goodbye to headaches and fatigue. Water is key more keeping steady energy throughout the day. Dehydration can cause severe fatigue and loss of concentration throughout the day. Water can also be a natural remedy for headaches!
2. Flush out those toxins and maybe even lose some weight. Constantly drinking water is the easiest way to get rid of water bloat because when the body is dehydrated toxins cannot be rid of effectively and fat ends up sticking around which leads to weight gain. Staying hydrated promotes weight loss due to the water making you feel full and will help with not overeating.
3. Keep a water bottle with you at all times and a cute one at that. Having a water bottle with you while going to class, etc. will help with your water intake but having a cute one will actually make you want to have it around. Target and Walmart has so many with vibrant colors and patterns of all shapes and sizes!
Hopefully these facts help to see that water should be your drink of choice!
Substitutes can really come in handy in an array of situations. Say you weren’t able to make it to the grocery store for eggs or butter, there’s not much left in the fridge, or maybe you’re trying to make some simple changes in your diet. These easy switches should be of common knowledge when it comes to smart cooking and a modest budget. This post will cover 4 life changing alternatives to your everyday grocery items.
1. Apple Sauce over butter
Although butter is a staple for the kitchen and has a heavy endorsement from Paula Dean, you can’t ignore the fat and caloric details. A little butter won’t hurt, but neither will some hardy applesauce! The rule of thumb for this trick is to replace half of the amount. (Ex. 1 cup of butter means 1/2 cup of applesauce). Last I checked, a jar of applesauce costs about $2.50. Score.
2. Try some mashed..cauliflower
I know, this seems like kind of a stretch to replace good ole mashed potatoes with cauliflower, but don’t knock it until you try it! This is a significant healthy alternative due to the amount of saturated fat seen in mashed potatoes. Story time: When I was little, my mom made mashed cauliflower and I was rather picky. She convinced me that it was a new potato that scientists invented and that I had to try it. (Yes, 10 year old Sarah was a little gullible). Anyways, it was actually pretty good.
3. Lettuce leafs as a tortilla
Lettuce wraps are pretty good, my friends. It’s pretty obvious why this substitute is worth mentioning. (Carbs vs. Veggies). For a good veggie wrap use a sturdier green. Gotta get those veggies in.
5. Ever heard of quinoa?
Quinoa is a complex grain that looks a lot like rice, but it has so much more nutritional value than rice ever will. Some examples include fiber and protein. It’s not that hard to find either, you can find it on any food shelf. Although it is a tad more expensive than rice (so not much), it’s an alternative to consider.
Hopefully these tips were useful.