Self-love

Morning Routine

Good afternoon everyone! The first step in this journey of bettering myself and finding my likes, and what works better for my daily routine starts with breakfast. My morning routine used to consist of scrolling on apps and procrastinating until the last possible second to shower and rush out the door. Sometimes even way past the point of being able to shower anymore. I would just avoid getting up until I had to work or I had some other obligation that made me get up. I think this started with when I moved out of my moms and I lost sight of how good I feel when I actually try and get ready. I wouldn’t necessarily say I was depressed, but I really didn’t feel like it. I stopped “feeling like it” for a long time. Not because I thought I was ugly or because I hated how I looked after, just simply because it seemed like a lot of work in the morning. And I just wanted to relax, but then as the day progressed I felt even worse because I didn’t try to look nice or because I felt so rushed in the morning.

Since the breakup that I mentioned in my first post, I decided to change that and start making effort and putting time in myself. I started getting up and showering almost right after my alarm went off and I started putting more effort into my outfits again. Unfortunately I am not always successful, like last night I was up until 2 doing homework which led to snoozing the alarms quite a few times. But the point is I am trying to prioritize my health and just showering and getting ready each morning was a big step.

This past week I decided to do something else a little extra to help boost my motivation and to get me out of the bed right away which was eating breakfast. Honestly having a bowl of cereal each day gave me energy and it helped start my day even if I wasn’t ready to shower right away. It still helped give me a. reason to get up and I felt so good after. I would have two bowls of cereal and felt like I was already having such a good day. Since doing this I noticed I am more energetic, happy, and motivated. My advice to anyone who is struggling to find a reason to get up and be present in the day after their alarm goes off is to assess why you are feeling so sad or unmotivated, and find something to help you nip that bad energy in the butt. I still have some soul searching to do, because I don’t think I am completely over the unmotivated triggers, but I can tell you that every time I get up and shower and eat cereal my mood is instantly better.

2 Comments

• Lily

Hi Ashley! I’ve been going through a very similar thing since the fall semester began. I live with my boyfriend back home normally, but during the school year I have an apartment with two of my friends. Because my classes and work are all online, I don’t have to go anywhere. I, like you, stay in bed for as long as I can. I also have a VERY messed up sleep schedule (considering it is 3 a.m. and I’ll probably be up for a while yet). I’ve been wanting to get back on track for a while now, and I am hoping that reading your blog posts will finally give me the motivation to do it! I wish you the best of luck with everything!

• Holly Schwaller

Hi Ashley! I love this post. I once too struggled with finding a good morning routine. It is hard to start out, but I have read that once you do something for at least 30 days, it becomes a habit. When I started to improve my morning routine, I began with making my bed right away in the morning. It gave me a sense of productivity right away, even if it’s something that small. I then like to turn on my diffuser and put a very uplifting, energizing essential oil in like orange or lemon. I have always been a breakfast eater! I love starting my morning with a bowl of fruit and then moving onto a second breakfast like eggs or oatmeal!