- From playing sports I have encountered a few people who have used sport enhancers when playing sports. Most times it was in football when I notice that when some of are skill players went down they always went to the locker room with are trainer and would always return to the game that they were hurt in. I also know of a now a United States ranger who took human growth hormones in high school to try to get taller but just worked out. For myself I have taken steroids after I fractured my knee. I declined to take do surgery and instead had weekly monitored steroid shots into my knee to head build my strength back.
- For my recommendation I talked to several coaches from around the area as well as a few personal trainers who have worked with high school kids. They told me that they have always tried to stop kids and some trainers and coaches from doing sport enhancers and believe that it destroys the nature of the sports themselves. A trainer I have personally worked with told me that if you can’t beat an opponent in a far game then maybe you should have worked hard or even not have played in the first place. He also said that the laws trying to prevent people who use sports enhancers are not just trying to stop them from their sports but trying to stop people from doing illegal drugs in the first place. The NCAA, NFL, NCAAF and other sports want to try to help are younger generations know that with hard work you can win without doing illegal things like sports enhancers.
- My personal recommendation to stop people from doing sports enhancers is to go to the source and educate the youth. The doctors and trainers who prescribe anabolic steroids or anything need to know the people they are giving them to. To give them things like steroids or human growth hormones is like adding fuel to the fire. There has to be more restrictions on about when people are allowed to take them. Having the person come in like they did me is a very good idea, even if it is just a pill form. Also to stop the first from happening we have to look at children. Today sports athletes are some of the best the world has ever seen and children want to be like them whatever the cost is, even sports enhancers. Are top athletes need to show that to be successful in athletics you have to be willing to put in the work and give the time you need to become the best athlete. Also athletes themselves need to go out against sports enhancers for the simple fact is they have people looking up to them and if people believe that the only reason the athletes got to the place they were by sports enhancers then people who do the same. And finally I want to talk about the coaches in schools. Some coaches and schools only care about winning so they will bend the rule for their students like curving test scores or looking the other way when the students do bad things. We need to send a message to these people to show that not only are the students going to be in trouble but they will as well.
National Institute on drug Abuse (2014) http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/anabolic-steroids
Mayo Clinic(2014) http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/healthy-aging/in-depth/growth-hormone/art-20045735
Sportsanddrugs (2014) http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002037
There are plenty of different sport enhancer drugs out on the market today but we will only be looking at a few. Human Growth Hormones/Anabolic steroids, stimulants, Diuretics, and Masking agents are some of the many drugs out there but the only four we will be looking at. Most of these drugs have few positive impacts on a person when do correctly but while the purpose of them being made is to help, many people use them for their own personal benefit which includes a lot of athletes.
- Human Growth Hormones(HGH)/Anabolic Steroids- These two drugs are considered in the same category because they are used for the same reasons and also can produce the same outputs. Both drugs are able to be injected and swallowed by pill form. Both of these drugs have the potential of make a person very strong or just a better athlete than what they used to be. However the impacts they cause on a persons body could be fatal. Some negative impacts that human growth hormones will do is fluid retention which could easily lead its way to carpal tunnel, body aches, high blood sugar, and a very high chance of any form of cancer. For steroid use you can see things like high blood pressure to stroke, liver disease and possibly cancer, and for men the inability for reproduce children. These two drugs have high addictive potential which have produce plenty of addicts who try to get the high impacts before they go into withdraw. When taking HGH or steroids a person has that the feeling of being superman, like a person who is very drunk but without other effects of drinking to much. When these people take these drugs like steroids it makes their bodies go into overdrive which makes them seem invincible . There are however good things that these two drugs do. Anabolic steroids can slow the spread of cancer and aids throughout the body, and are used to help men and women grow when there bodies can not do it all by themselves. Also it gives men extra testosterone to help in puberty. And for HGH it can help a person to look a little younger, improve blood pressure, improve immune system, and like with steroids help a person grow when their bodies can do all the work. Overall these drugs are suppose to be used to help people but to much are they used for personal gain especially athletes and make the public see them as evil drugs just so they can win in a game.
- Next we talk about stimulants. For this topic we include caffeine, ephedrine , amphetamine, and methamphetamine. These drugs are mostly done through injects but for caffeine and some pill forms of the rest you can ingest them orally. Stimulants are used to increase energy, lower fatigue, and give up that “up” kind of feeling. These drugs are psychoactive drugs which means they primary work in the brain to increase functions for mental or physical or both. Stimulants are highly addictive and can easily lead to medical, psychiatric, and psychosocial deterioration. Doing these drugs gives a person a highly active sensation and there for can feel good the whole time that they are on them, which this is the main reason people abuse the drugs. Some notable stimulant drugs are Ecstasy and Cocaine. Some good health issues are it can help fight obesity since they decrease appetite, realize headache, and help people with ADHD focus better. Just like before though people take these stimulants to far and get addicted to them. Athletes like to use stimulants so they can beat a person or team that they would normally wouldn’t be able to win against.
- Next we look at Diuretics. Diuretics are primary used to lose weight by excretion or water from the body. Mostly used by wrestlers and boxers to lose weight, diuretics are now banned in all sports. Diuretics are injected into the blood stream but also can be an over the counter purchase. Like all drugs, diuretics can be abused and you can be addicted to them but in general not many people become addicted to them. However, say that the people who do become addicted are the people who always want to lose weight. A few people who become addicted to diuretics also become bulimic. This drugs has also lead straight to death from overdose do to dehydration. The body needs water in its system with is the exact opposite of what diuretics do. When overdosing on diuretics you could experience fainting, cramps, low blood pressure, confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, slow breathing, sensitivity to sunlight, seizures, rash, frequent urination, vision problems, jaundice, or vomiting. All of these happen when you can use to much diuretics. Diuretics however can be used to treat plenty of serious things like heart failure, liver cirrhosis and kidney disease. Overall diuretics are not as known as other sports enhancing drugs but are still the same as the rest. When you over do them you can become addicted and die. Diuretics will help us talk about are next topic masking agents.
- And finally we will talk about Masking drugs/agents. The sole purpose for these drugs in the make it so you cannot detect any of the drugs we have talk about or any other drug. The drug that we just talked about diuretics, is probably the most known masking agent. The way these drugs work is to lower the amount of banned substances in your body so when you are drug tested nobody will see that you are taking the banned substances. Athletes used them all the time to cover up steroids and stimulates. There really isn’t any positive side to these drugs considering that they are used to cover up banned items. But overall most masking agents have the same effects on your body as diuretics do.
Performance enhancing drugs or PEDs are drugs used by athletes or even military personal to increase their overall performance. There are a bunch of different types of categories of performance enhancement drugs like stimulates, painkillers, and masking drugs. These drugs have a bunch of different outcomes like gaining muscle or being able to run longer distances or faster to affects that happen to the body like making a woman become more manly, hair loss, aggression.
In ancient times performance enhancing drugs were used by both athletes and soldiers a like. But instead of the drugs that we know today, they would eat leaves and roots from certain plants. In the 1904 Olympics the first known use of performing enchaining drugs were used. By this time the athletes pretty much used heroin, cocaine, and caffeine. These drugs were however banned in 1928. In the 1930s Adolf Butenandt a chemist created the first ever steroid. The Nazis were the first people to really test the affects on prisoners. In the 1960s, John Zieglar who witnesses the success of the Russian weightlifting team created an anabolic steroid called dianabol. From there on Olympians kept using steroids until 1968 were the first drug test happened. These events take used today were plenty of athletes like Mark McGwire, Dwain Chambers, and Manny Ramirez are accused and confirmed to have taken steroids throughout their career. Even though plenty of laws and bans are in every sport organization the world today athletes still do performance drugs.
Welcome to Blogs.uww.edu. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!