The Multicultural Career Fair was held this past Wednesday in the Hamilton Room. There were about 60 employers there, including US Bank, Target, Cintas, Kohl’s and Six Flags Great America, looking to fill internship and job spots. Enjoy some pictures from the career fair!
Heather, the other social media intern, and I had the opportunity to attend an etiquette dinner this past Monday. We were nervous at first, never having been to an etiquette dinner before. It was also a networking event. Companies such as Cintas, Target, Sherwin-Williams and others were present. Heather and I sat with two very nice Target employers at the dinner and we actually saw one of the Target employers at the career fair!
Before the etiquette dinner portion of the event, the employers each gave a piece of advice about networking and attending a career fair. Hopefully this will give you some great insight from the employers and that you might be able to use these tips at the next career fair you attend!
- Come prepared and do your research about which companies you want to invest your time in.
- First impressions are very important. Know your elevator speech.
- Be polite, friendly, appreciative, and don’t forget to smile! Watch your body language.
- Don’t be shy. Know what the companies are looking for. Confidence is key.
- All of the companies are looking for leaders, whether it is for an internship position or job position. Keep that in mind.
- How will you set yourself apart from everyone else? Remember that while you are talking to employers at the career fair.
- ‘You’ll likely never get what you deserve. You’ll get what you negotiate.’ Thanks Michael LaBroscian for this tip!
Photos by UWW Career.