Improving Mental Health

Move and Groove

It’s been a know fact for quite some time now that excersise releases endorphins in the body and make you feel good. While depending on the kind of excersise you do, maybe you feel sore afterwards but mentally you feel good.

If you are not an exersise type of person, like myself, it’s okay! When I say exercise I’m not telling you to go to the gym and squat 150 pounds. That sounds absoultely terrible. You don’t need to do very strenuous workouts in order to feel good mentally. You can literally go outside and take a 20 minute walk.

I myself like dancing. I find it incredibly fun and I’ve been dancing for a while. I don’t do any type of professional dancing, I’m not in the studio for hours at a time practicing. I dance for fun. I am apart of a dance club at my college. We meet once a week for an hour and learn a minute long dance. It’s a very relaxed enviornement.

I also enjoy Zumba, which is a more intensive workout type dancing. More cardio focused. I always find that after dance I feel refreshed mentally. For an hour I forget all my stress and just focus on learning the moves. I end up in a better mood afterwards and just feel this increase in energy. Granted I’m one of those people who always manages to injure themselves so I tendd to leave dance with a giant bruise on my knee, but still, mentally I feel good.

While I only dance once a week somedays I need that physically activity to help releave stress. I like to take a nice walk. I plug in my earbuds, turn on my music and just walk around. Usually I am on campus, and I think my university has a rather pretty campus. There are some areas that are filled with nature and those are the places I like to go. There is a little walking trail behind campus that goes into a woodsy area. It;s absolutely beautiful in the spring time. I like to just do a loop on the trail. It’s very calming and peaceful.

Give exersice a try. Take a nice walk around the block. Dance a little. Lift some weights if you enjoy that. Swim in the pool. Play some tennis. Anything really. It doesn’t need to be anything extreme, just find something you enjoy to do and go do it. You might find yourself feeling refreshed and releaxed.