Improving Mental Health

Visit a New Place

One if the reasons I find myself getting irritated and just down is general is when I feel really cooped up. It happens a lot during school breaks. At least for me.

Otherwise I’m usually at my house or perhaps work. But it usually never leaving my house for fun reasons as I don’t go out a lot. Sure during winter/spring/summer break I’ll meet up with some old friends from back home for lunch or something but it’s never anything exciting or out of the usual.

Maybe it’s a bad cause of cabin fever.

Last year at the beginning of the summer I was feeling really out of it. I didn’t have a job last summer so that definitely did not help. I was at home, stuck with all the chores. So I became increasingly depressed.

My mom took notice, she didn’t think it was fair that I was stuck at home. So she took me out to a place I hadn’t been in a long, long time. We went to the Chicago Botanical Gardens for the day. I’m someone who enjoys the outdoors. I love things like foliage and flowers. I find it very beautiful and relaxing to be around.

So for me that day out and about, walking through all the trees, enjoying the sun. It felt good to get out in the fresh air and do something I don’t normally do.

The same happened this spring break. Once again I was home, chores handed to me. So I went to a new place yet again. I asked an old friend of mine to take a train ride down into Chicago to go to the Shedd Aquarium. I like sealife and fish. It was a place I hadn’t been in a while. I also got to see the bean in millennial park. Which again hadn’t done in an while.

It was great. I felt good after going on these mini trips I felt more awake, more at peace, just all together happier.

What I’d say is that if you find yourself in a place where you feel cooped up, not having fun,and you feel like you need to get out and go somewhere. Do it. Find a place you wanna go visit. Can be close to home. Can be far. Depends really on how far you wanna go and how much you wanna spend to go there. But it’s fun. And it helps.