Module 5 Blog Post

I intend to use motivation to drive my students to engage themselves in the lessons provided.  This will encourage them to feel free to indulge in activities.  The more students feel free to be themselves and enjoy the learning process, the easier it will be to engage them, and install values.  I plan to use goals and objectives to motivate the students to do their best in all activities provided.  When students have a reason to improve their willingness to get better increases greatly.  I also plan to use responsibilities to motivate students to behave accordingly while in class.  The learner-centered method of teaching will be used as a basic guideline that I will build my lesson plans around.  By this I mean, when making lesson plans for my students, I plan to keep in mind the learner-centered method, and revolve my activities around the learners’ needs.  Classroom designs, principles, and frameworks will depend on the lessons being taught.  I plan to install principles that require respect, which I intend to use as a framework that will keep the students engaged, enthusiastic, and aware of their choices and actions.  Formats such as the Backwards Design will be used to further structure the lessons I choose, giving me the ability to adjust the lesson so that it covers each students’ needs.

STAGE 1 – OVERVIEW

Unit Title: Adventure/Cooperation                                                                      

Students Will Be Able to:

●      (Cognitive) Have a greater understanding of self-awareness and be able to define key concepts of how to be a better leader over the period of the unit

●      (Affective) Develop strategies with other classmates and develop cooperation and teamwork skills over the period of the unit

●      (Psychomotor) Use locomotor, non-locomotor, and other sport knowledge to help complete the task at hand

Questions:

●      What did you enjoy most about the activity?

●      What was the biggest challenge you and your group faced in the activity?

●      If you were to try this again what might you do differently?

Standards Covered:

●      Standard 2: Applies movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.

●      Standard 7: Understands that physical activity provides the opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, self expression, and social interaction.

Expected Understandings:

●      Demonstrates cooperation skills by establishing rules and guidelines for resolving conflicts.

●      Problem-solves with a small group of classmates during adventure activities, small-group initiatives or game play.

●      Exhibits responsible social behaviors by cooperating with classmates, demonstrating inclusive behaviors and supporting classmates.

STAGE 2 – ASSESSMENT

Types Of Assessment:

●     Written Journal: provide a few questions about participation, responsibility, and interaction.

●     Discussion: bring the group together and ask them questions about the activities performed.

●     Test: provide a written test for the students to fill out after activities

●     Personal Checklist: provide a checklist for students, covering the lessons to be learned during the activity.

Notes:

1.     Be sure to ask questions that identify: the amount of effort given by the students, the interaction of the students, and what was most important to them.

2.    With the personal checklist, assure to take note of the students general activity during the lesson, and see if their response is truthful and honest or not.

Assessment Criteria:

●     Students will identify that daily activities fall under different forms of exercise.

●     Students will identify which exercises require more frequency and which require more intensity.

●     Students will have a better understanding of physical fitness and its’ usefulness to maintaining their health and lifestyle.

STAGE 3–LEARNING PLAN/SCHEDULE

Summary of Learning Activities: Continuous Relay

1.    equip students, help them experience the key ideas, and explore the issues of integration and individual abilities. (choosing which students to run which leg of the relay)

2.    provide opportunities to rethink and revise their understandings and work. (run the relay twice or three times)

3.    allow students to evaluate their work and its implications. (provide students time between relays to talk about their tactics)

4.    be tailored to the different needs, interests, abilities of learners (provide enough types of races in the relay for all individuals to have a strength and a weakness

5.    be organized to maximize initial and sustained engagement as well as effective learning (have the relays set-up prior to class, with each relay being different)

Above is a version of the Backward Design template that I’ve been working on for this class.  In the lesson plan I work to incorporate adventure education and cooperation in to a lesson intended to teach communication, the awareness of others and their capabilities, and how to utilize others in order to obtain a goal.  This lesson plan template helped me identify what exactly I wanted to teach the students.  It also helped me build activities that pin-pointed what I wanted the students to learn.  This lesson plan design is useful because it covers all things necessary when deciding what to teach students, and how.

One thought on “Module 5 Blog Post”

1. Hi Brooks!
    I really liked your post! It mentioned a lot of great ideas. I especially liked that you wanted to use responsibilities to get students to learn and participate. This also teaches them that they are going to have responsibilities and that other people depend on them. You are teaching life lessons and skills along what is in your lesson. I also like that you are planning to change your lesson as needed around the learners needs. I think this is important because not every student you have will be the same, along with each class you have.