Module 2 Blog Post

There are many ways in which a person develops and constructs their knowledge.  It is very much dependent upon how the individual was raised and their preference as to what they feel helps then learn most efficiently.  This may be the fact that they comprehend more when reading, hearing, or actively doing what ever it is they are learning.  Another few factors would be the role of parents, the role of peers, or even the role of media within the individuals life.  After the information has been presented to an individual, the brain immediately begins relating the experience to previous experiences that the individual has previously been involved in.  As an individual experiences more situations, their brain begins to go through maturation.  Piaget’s four stage theory includes; sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete operational, and formal operational stages.  The sensorimotor stage is when infants and very young children are learning to identify shapes, textures, and other simplistic concepts.  The preoperational stage is when toddlers are learning their sense of self in the world.  The preoperational stage is when children being their own theory of mind, and how other people may feel or think about the world around them.  The third stage is the concrete operational stage where they experience decentration, where they understand more than one aspect of situations.  The final stage of Piaget’s, which is formal operational, is when young individuals begin to think more theoretically with more reason and abstract thinking.  Limitations of Piaget’s theory would be over-simplifying stages of people’s lives, and categorizing individuals when they may seem to be between stages.  Benefits of this model would be being able to better identify where exactly a child may be in their intellectual progression.  I believe that the role of parents can help any child at any stage of Piaget’s theory progress to where they should be, or even further.  My parents always told me that they never talked to me in “baby talk.”  They always asked me questions as if I were an adult, even when I was an infant.  Their role in my life, and the way they applied themselves as parents helped progress me further as an intellect.  It was noticeable in the questions I asked my teachers, or in the way that I applied my knowledge to my schooling.  One experience was more recent, and much more identifiable when I learned Piaget’s theory.  Usually I try to answer any questions that are asked in class in the best way possible, covering as much as I can.  However, in our last class meeting for this class, I decided to let other people answer and explain their view on Piaget’s theory, and I could tell that other students weren’t elaborating and taking the discussion any further than the face value it was presented in.  I ended up identifying how individuals can be between stages in Piaget’s theory, by pointing out how my teachers daughter had some aspects of the concrete operational stage, but more of the preoperational characteristics.  I was also able to identify that the reason for this may be because of what her daughters teachers had been focusing on in school.  I give credit to my parents authoritative approach and their refusal to talk to me as if I wasn’t ready to comprehend.  I believe their expectancies of me to progress as much as I could as an intellect, have benefitted me in my cognitive processing, and the speed in which it works.