Module 1 Blog Post

The relationship between research between and practice is complicated, but very efficient when successfully producing higher quality learning to be taught to students.  This is largely due to the way they work to inform each other, and the ability to both; practice in education, and conduct research at the same time.  A good example of this can be seen in a recent debate about homework, and whether or not it should be assigned or not.  The situation could be researched, as to whether homework is beneficial or not to improving student performance, by allowing the teacher to run his class this way.  However, attempting to research students’ performance while teaching them at the same time may have some negative effects.  One thing that could be a problem is the teachers’ ability to give adequate attention to the students and their learning while researching and assessing their student performance.  This could lead to the teacher paying more attention to some students more than others, not being able to focus on the lesson plan due to research activity.  Ultimately, the question is, if risking student performance improvement with possible distractions is worth the research or not.  Given this, it is complicated as to how research is conducted while in practice with education.  To avoid these distraction to students, researchers and teacher collaborate in a way that allows the research to still be conducted, while the students are given full attention.  This is usually done by having the researcher observe the teacher while they teach.  Researcher is given a specific characteristic to watch for, while the teacher tries different methods of teaching.   They then meet with each other and discuss their findings.  I am not sure if research has been conducted by a teacher while they were teaching but I personally wouldn’t advise it.  A students understanding is too valuable to chance with any kind of distraction.  “The goal of P.L.94-142 is to guarantee equal education opportunity for all”(Lowenbraun 1978). This means, by law, teachers are to exclude as much distraction as possible, and attempt to fully grasp the attention of their students.  Which leads me to why I believe that homework should be used to improve student performance.  Since performance is improved after practice, an adequate amount of practice balanced with proper reflection can result in better understanding.  Going back to the least restrictive environment, I also believe that homework can cause for some restriction. Thus, the teacher must make it important not to make homework overwhelming or seem inapplicable to everyday life. They must also make sure there is an arousal to the assigned work.  A good analogy would be a teacher on a tight rope, balancing students on one end and books on the other end of their balancing stick.

Lowenbraun, S., & Affleck, J. (1978). Least restrictive environment.

One thought on “Module 1 Blog Post”

1. Brooks,
    I love the statement you made about research and practice working to inform each other. I think that is very well said, as well as what I think is really important here. The way you brought the homework debate into describing the way research and practice working to inform each other, but also went over the possible cons alongside this, I think was genius. After reading this it makes me so excited to get into the teaching career and to also research to better my teacher, but also to know the side effects that may come along with all of that. Great post!