Americans are tired of seeing 2016 election coverage

The presidential election of 2016 is nearing its end, and the political coverage on social media outlets is showing no signs of slowing down.

Many people get a fair amount of their news intake from social media outlets, and when these outlets are spammed with political coverage, it’s worth pondering: How do most people feel about that?

hostgator-alternative-frustrated-person

Yeah. That pretty much sums it up.

According to an article on Adweek.com, many American adults are simply tired of seeing election coverage in their social media feeds.

But why are people worn out by seeing campaign 2016 coverage?

One reason is perhaps the lack or true, civil discussion, as many people have claimed. Another reason may be the sheer frequency of this coverage, which may be prohibiting social media users from seeing other content first which they would rather see. Or it could even be due in part to a political bias on the part of whoever wrote the article they’re seeing. Or all of these things and more combined.

If you try checking Facebook to connect with friends, and all you’re seeing is political coverage, then you probably will be frustrated, according to the odds. Many of us may be looking down at our cell phones in disgust rather than amusement when we first log into Facebook and see ANOTHER campaign ad.

suspicious-cell-phone

The original article on Adweek.com offers several useful, meaningful and informative graphics which better explain this message in far less words. If you’ve made it this far into my post, please check out the original article, with a link listed at the bottom of this post!

In conclusion, I believe that comedian John Oliver has the right idea of how many people feel about this year’s election. Here are a few of his summarizations of the 2016 presidential campaign.

john-oliver-on-clinton-trump-debate-850x479dc9e7650-7684-0134-1896-060e3e89e053untitled-21221

View the original article by following the link below to Adweek.com.

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/pew-research-center-the-political-environment-on-social-media/646435

About Brad Allen

I am a 20-year-old college student at UW-W, studying Journalism and Creative Writing. I'm an aspiring author, and I've self-published a novel through Amazon. I currently work for both the Royal Purple and the Janesville Gazette newspapers.
This entry was posted in Journalism for the Web. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Americans are tired of seeing 2016 election coverage

1. We can be tired of it all we want, but fact is it an important thing here in America. I think the real problem stems from a lack of equal coverage for all candidates (in particular third-party candidate Gary Johnson) and more focus on the individual’s personalities rather than what their views and opinions of the issues are. As a result of all these personal jabs, it is incredibly hard to take the election seriously and the global access to social media doesn’t enhance the experience in nearly the amount of ways we were hoping for.

2. Angelic Thompson says:

I totally agree with this. I am really tired about hearing this election because our two candidates our the worst we have ever seen. So it would be for this to be over with. I liked the use of photos in your blog because it made it really interesting to look at.

3. Kyle says:

If the discussion was civilized, do you think that might also make the public more apathetic? In previous elections, this was the concern….the public was too bored my politics to participate. Through that lens, would make sense to say at that least they’re paying attention now?