News articles on social media now include rotating photos

October 20, 2016

By Brad Allen, UW-W student blogger

According to an article published on www.Adweek.com, online publishers and companies can now advertise with the usage of 360-degree-photos through Facebook’s new Instant Articles feature.

360-degree-photos are still images which the viewer can interact with in order to, effectively, spin the photo around, thus making the photo fully 3-Dimensional. Users simply use their finger to click or drag the photo around to capture multiple views within one photo.

360-in-news-feed-1280x546

It’s an incredibly feature, one that I never expected to see happen in our lifetimes. But here it is, nonetheless. This feature can make images seem like more than images, and allow readers to really feel in-tune with what they’re looking at. This new photography feature could allow news organizations to better show a story by including images which not only show the speaker at an event, but also the crowd; furthermore, viewers can see media images that now display a full view of both the players in a sports game and the cheering crowd. It’s a great way to effectively show off the best of both worlds in one single, digital media form.

I am utterly astonished.

Adweek.com reported in an article that “Roberts also showed examples of the features in action from early adopters USA Today and Bild, adding that users with the latest Android or iOS Facebook app can access them via the Instant Articles page.”

Check out the original article by clicking the link below.

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/instant-articles-360-degree-videos-photos/646425

About Brad Allen

I am a 20-year-old college student at UW-W, studying Journalism and Creative Writing. I'm an aspiring author, and I've self-published a novel through Amazon. I currently work for both the Royal Purple and the Janesville Gazette newspapers.
This entry was posted in Journalism for the Web. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to News articles on social media now include rotating photos

1. Kyle says:

Do you think this tool has a use for storytelling? We’ve played with this in our newsroom. It’s cool, but I’m not yet convinced that there’s a practical application for telling news stories, at least, not in any way that we’re used to doing it.