Vampire Academy

vampire-academy-book-cover

For this post, I will be talking about one of my favorite books, which is Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. This book has 352 pages and is actually celebrating its ten year anniversary this month. Vampire Academy is the first book in the series. There is also a movie made from the first book back in 2014, but it was not as successful as the book series. The book is in first point of view and is in the point of view of Rose Hathaway.

I have not read the book in a couple of years, so here is the summary of the book via Amazon.com: “St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.”

Like I said in the beginning of this post, Vampire Academy is one of my all time favorite books. I read it in seventh grade for the first time and I have read it probably twenty times since then. It never gets old to me. The characters are amazing and Rose, the main character, is a strong female role model. She is very fierce, brave, sarcastic, witty, smart, and passionate. Rose and Lissa’s friendship is also very nice because a lot of people can relate to their friendship. They are so close and are practically sisters.

Another amazing aspect of this book is the relationship between Rose and Dimitri. Dimitri is her mentor at the school and is technically a teacher at the school. They have a very interesting relationship throughout the entire series. First of all, any kind of romantic relationship between them is forbidden since she is a student and he is a teacher. But their relationship was not romantic at first. It was just a student-teacher relationship which then developed into a respectful friendship. But obviously after that, it blossomed into something more.

I know that vampire themed books and television shows can be pretty cheesy, but I think Richelle Mead did an excellent job of not making this series cheesy. The movie, on the other hand, was very cheesy and I would not recommend watching the movie. Please read the books first if you decide to watch the movie.

There are so many different aspects of this series that make it amazing, so please check it out! You will fall in love with all of the characters very easily and you will not want to put the book down once you start reading it!

For more information on this book, the whole series, or the spin off series that Richelle Mead wrote, please visit her website at www.richellemead.com.

Published in:Book Review |on December 13th, 2016 |No Comments »

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.