The Catcher in the Rye

download-2

For this post, I will be discussing the novel The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. This book is not a current book. It was published in 1951 and it has 214 pages.

I feel that I cannot give this book a decent enough summary with my own words, so here is a summary of The Catcher in the Rye that is done by Amazon.com: “The hero-narrator of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE is an ancient child of sixteen, a native New Yorker named Holden Caulfield. Through circumstances that tend to preclude adult, secondhand description, he leaves his prep school in Pennsylvania and goes underground in New York City for three days. The boy himself is at once too simple and too complex for us to make any final comment about him or his story. Perhaps the safest thing we can say about Holden is that he was born in the world not just strongly attracted to beauty but, almost, hopelessly impaled on it. There are many voices in this novel: children’s voices, adult voices, underground voices-but Holden’s voice is the most eloquent of all. Transcending his own vernacular, yet remaining marvelously faithful to it, he issues a perfectly articulated cry of mixed pain and pleasure. However, like most lovers and clowns and poets of the higher orders, he keeps most of the pain to, and for, himself. The pleasure he gives away, or sets aside, with all his heart. It is there for the reader who can handle it to keep.”

I read this book about six months ago because my boyfriend recommended it to me and it was very good! I usually do not like reading classical literature, but this novel surprised me and I loved reading it. It was very hard for me to put the book down as soon as I started reading it.

Holden Caulfield is a fantastic main character and it is so interesting to read about his journey as a young adult. It was also interesting to read about his relationships with the people he met throughout the book. I definitely recommend this book to everyone. My recommendation should really mean that the book is fantastic because I usually do not like classical literature, like I stated above. So please go buy or check out this book from your local library and if you do that, I hope you enjoy it!

Published in:Book Review |on December 13th, 2016 |No Comments »

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.