Desire of the Soul Chapter Two

I posted the first chapter to my original story a couple of months ago and I decided that for this post, I will post the second chapter just in case anyone wanted to read a little more of it. DISCLAIMER: This is a very early version of this story and I haven’t edited it in a while, so it might be a little rough. Enjoy!

I woke up the next morning when my alarm clock went off at 6:30. I rubbed my eyes as I walked out of room and down the hallway to the bathroom. Right as I turned the corner, I ran right into someone.

“Whoa, I’m sorry.” I mumbled. I looked up to see a really cute guy. He has brown hair, brown eyes, and had to be over six feet tall.

“No, it’s ok.” he said in a charming voice. He then smiled an amazing smile and I felt a little bit of myself melt inside. He moved out of the way and I stepped into the bathroom and took a shower.

After my shower, I blow-dried my hair and went into the kitchen for breakfast. Officer Bla-Ernie, was making pancakes and sausage for breakfast.

“Good morning.” Ernie smiled at me. He flipped another pancake and then put some on a plate and gave it to me.

“Good morning to you too.” I said as I took a bite of the pancake. “Yum! These things are amazing!”

Ernie laughed. “Thanks, they’re just pancakes.” he said and laughed again. I laughed with him.

“I know, it’s just that my mom and dad never made breakfast for me so I always had cereal for breakfast.” I explained to them. Ernie smiled and put a few sausages on my plate and I ate them too. Maybe living here wouldn’t be that bad.

“I have a question.” I said to Ernie. He looked up at me. “Do you have any kids?” I asked and took another bite of my pancake.

He smiled and nodded. “Yes, I have two kids. I have a boy and a girl. Emily is fourteen and Will is eight. They are my world.” he smiled again. I smiled back. It must be hard for him to leave his kids behind. I know it would be hard for me.

I finished my pancakes and sausage just as the cute guy from before walked downstairs and smiled at Ernie and me.

“Hello everyone. Ready for school today Angela?” the guy asked me.

“Uh, yeah. I, uh, guess so.” I shrugged. School was never a problem for me. I always got good grades and never got into trouble. But transferring to a new school during the middle of senior year might be a little tricky.

“Before I forget, I’m Officer Benjamin Barker. But you can call me Ben.” Ben said and smiled. He extended his hand and I shook it.

2

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Angela, but you already obviously know that.” I smiled at Ben and he laughed a little bit. “I have to get going to school…but I have no idea where that is.” I admitted.

“No worries, I’ll drop you off.” Ben said and grabbed my backpack for me and walked out of the door.

“I’ll see you later, Ernie.” I said to Ernie as I followed Ben outside to his car. I got into the passenger seat and he drove away.

“So, Ben, what am I supposed to tell people when they ask why I moved here and who you and Ernie are, because you’re obviously not my parents.” I said with a small, short laugh at the end.

“Well, the story is that Ernie is your godfather and I’m his son. Your parents died in a car crash recently, and you don’t have any other family members around for you to go live with, so Ernie took you in. It just so happens that I’m going to be a new teacher at this school so I can keep an eye on you. When people ask you where you used to live, say you are from Milwaukee, okay?” Ben said to me while driving.

I nodded. “Okay, sounds like a plan. It’s not too much to remember.” I said as I looked out of the car window. This place is definitely different than Chicago. You can actually see the grass and trees here.

“Right. And remember, your last name is now Martin. You go by the name Angela Martin, not Angela Ward.” I nodded again. “And if you ever need me during the day at school, come find me. If you can’t do that, my number is in your phone.” He handed me a cell phone.

“This isn’t my phone.” I told me while looking down at the phone in my hand.

“I know. We are giving you a new one so no one can trace you down and so people from Chicago can’t contact you. We also took down your facebook page. We don’t need anyone looking at that anymore because as of today, Angela Ward no longer exists.”

Whoa. I no longer “exist.” Will I ever be able to go back to Chicago and see all of my friends? I miss them so much and I hate that I never even got to say goodbye…

Ben pulled into the high school parking lot. It was smaller than my old school, that’s for sure. I grabbed my backpack and got out of the car. A few students who were also in the parking lot stared at Ben and me and I had a feeling there would be a lot of staring today. But oh well, there’s really nothing I can do about it. Unless I convinced Ernie to home school me…

Ben and I walked into the school together. “We have to go to the office and check in. Only the principal knows about why we are really here, so just keep everything on the down low. Try to keep yourself on the down low, okay?” he looked at me.

“Keep myself on the down low. I got it.” We walked into the principal’s office and got everything settled in. After that, I went to my locker and put my bag in there and got out my schedule. First hour was a study hall. Ben was going to be teaching a home education class, which he signed me up for. That class was right after lunch. At this school the schedule is a block schedule, so I only have four classes a day. Thank heaven. I really was not in the mood for eight classes a day right now.

I walked to my study hall and sat down in the back. I looked around and saw that the teacher wasn’t even in the classroom yet. Then I noticed I was pretty much the only student in here. I looked at the clock on the wall and class starts in three minutes. Does anybody here know how to be on time or read a clock? I took out my notebook and started doodling on it. As the next three minutes took place, students started filing into the classroom and the teacher walked in right as the bell was ringing.

The teacher introduced himself to me as Mr. Galsworthy and told me that study hall was a time for me to work on my homework and talk quietly with others in the room. He sat down and then told me to go sit back down in my desk. I did what he told me to do and then doodled some more on my notebook.

A few minutes later, a girl approached me. The girl had blonde hair that curled at the bottom. Her eyes were an intense blue color. She looked around the same height as me and was probably my age considering she was in the same study hall as me and at this school, all seniors were in the same study hall.

“Hi! You’re Angela Martin, right? I’m Dot Smith. Some teachers asked me to be your student guide since you’re new here.” Dot said and gave a huge smile.

“Hey, it’s nice to meet you too.” I smiled a little.

Dot smiled again and sat down next to me. “So, where are you from?”

“Uh,” I thought back to what Ben had said to me earlier in the car. “I’m from Milwaukee.”

“That’s quite a ways away from here!” she exclaimed and the teacher told her to tone down her volume.

“Yep.” I nodded. I really wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone right now.

“So, I heard you live with your godfather and his son.” Dot said to me.

“Yeah, that’s true.” Wow, news got around really fast here.

“What happened to your parents?” She questioned.

“They died in a car crash…” I said, remembering my fake story.

“Oh my goodness! That’s so sad! I know I never met them or anything, but I’m sorry for your loss. If you ever need to talk to someone, I’m here. We’re friends now.” She smiled warmly.

“Thanks Dot.” I smiled a little at her. If only she knew my parents weren’t actually dead and were living down in Chicago. If word ever got out about me being in witness protection, it would spread like a wild fire around here.

“No problem! Now, I have to do some homework, so I’ll talk to you after class.” Dot said as she opened up a text book. She started doing her homework so I took out my iPod and put my ear buds in. It’s time to listen to some depressing music.

When class was over, Dot walked me to my locker. Turns out that our lockers are right next to each other. What a coincidence.

“Hey, do you know who is on the other side of my locker?” I asked Dot. I might as well befriend that person too while I’m at it.

“Yeah, that’s Chris Holiday’s locker. He’s a senior and suuuuppeeerrr cute!” Dot gushed. “Oh, here he comes right now!” She gestured towards a guy walking down the hallway. You had to admit he was pretty darn cute. He was tall, blonde, fair skin, and blue eyes. Pretty intense blue eyes, considering I could see them from twenty-five feet away.

“Hey, you must be the new girl.” Chris said as he walked up to his locker. “I’m Chris.”

“Hi, I’m Angela, but some people call me Ang.” I smiled at him. He opened his locker and shoved his books in.

“So, what class do you have now?” he asked me while grabbing a book out of his locker.

I looked at my schedule. “Um, I have Spanish class.”

“Me too!” he smiled wide. He grabbed my schedule from my hands and read over it. “We have cooking class together too after lunch.”

“Awesome! The new teacher of that class is my godfather’s son.” I informed him.

“Really? That’s cool!” Dot smiled. I had kind of forgotten that she was even here.

“Well, we should get to class. Senora Lopez gets mad when we’re late to class.” Chris took my books out of my hands. “Here, let me take those for you.” He smiled wide. I smiled back and we both walked to class after saying our goodbyes to Dot.

When we walked into Spanish class, I had to do the usual introductions of myself, where I came from, blah blah blah. It turns out that Chris doesn’t have a partner because there was an uneven number of students in the class, so that means I get to be his partner. Plus, he sits in the back and I love sitting in the back of classrooms. It’s fun to watch the whole class and how ridiculous everyone can look. It entertains me when I’m bored. I picked out my Spanish class name, Alicia, and learned that Chris’ Spanish name is Carlos.

During class, Chris and I talked and learned more about each other. I learned that he has a little sister who is twelve years old. I also learned that his family is divorced, and that he lives with his mom. I was so sad when the end-of-class-bell rang. But it turns out that Chris and I have the same lunch, Lunch A, so I felt better. So far I have made two friends here, if you don’t include Ben and Ernie. Maybe living here for a while won’t be so bad.

Published in:Book Review |on December 13th, 2016 |No Comments »

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.