rant-1

This week I wanted to talk about something that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

With the election rapidly approaching, we tend to hear the phrase “Millennial voters” being thrown around a lot, specifically about how important our vote is.

Usually when you hear the word “Millennial”, it has sort of a negative connotation to it. Unfortunately. The older generation thinks we’re a technology-obsessed, passive generation who doesn’t care about many issues in the world.

Which is completely wrong. Not to mention offensive.

The media tends to do this. Working at a commercial station, I see and hear stories constantly about how entitled the millennials are, how little we actually care about issues, and how little informed we are on these issues.

Now more than ever, this election has proved that millennials are taking a stand and caring about what happens to our country, yet we continue to see articles and tv show hosts/radio hosts talk about how uneducated we are.

millenial-1

They pass us off as this technology-obsessed generation, which they deem a bad thing. Which could not be more wrong. The fact that we have advanced technology at our fingertips for our disposal is such a huge positive. We have more opportunity to educate ourselves now than we ever have. And we use it often.

So frankly I’m sick of hearing the older generation drone on and on about how passive millennials are.

rant-2

2 Responses to “The dreaded “Millennial” title and what it means”

1. Jason Howarth said:

Great use of the images and this is a great topic to discuss. It raises questions that I think people only passingly acknowledge when trying to judge today’s youth. I do think you could have raised points regarding politics and the government as viewed by the current generation (which I think is the real problem people have with “millennials”), but it’s still a strong and much needed argument against the critics of today’s youth.

2. Kyle Geissler said:

Anytime anyone wants to generalize about an entire generation, it’s best to assume that they’re wrong. The same goes for cultures, nations, races, genders, etc. These stereotypes are handy judgment tools that humans have always relied on, even if they shouldn’t. You’re right, but I’m not hopeful that this will change anytime soon:)