Week 6

March 1st, 2015

Time to revisit our mobile strategy

I was immediately drawn to this headline for some reason, because lately in my own life I’ve been thinking about how important mobile applications have become. Upon reading this, I agree with most everything this blogger says: that the mobile web is dying ¬†and mobile apps are replacing it.

The main reason I happened to be thinking about this is because I was doing a project for my video production class. We were asked to come up with a question, and my group decided on “What is your main news source, and how do you get that news?”

The answers from students were overwhelmingly apps-but not just random “news” apps that come on your phone. They were applications for popular news sites like CNN and BBC. So while the actual websites aren’t being looked up on mobile devices, their apps are being utilized.

I started to ask myself if this was a bad thing, or if this was just a part of technology evolving.

That is what this post is essentially asking. It’s also saying that mobile websites aren’t as dead as everyone thinks. They use an example of a link being shared on Facebook. When you click that link, it takes you to the company’s mobile site, not it’s app. I agree with this for the most part, but I also know that if I get to a company’s mobile site, it will give me an option to download the app, depending on the site. The best example I can come up with for this is fandango.com. If I type that into my mobile browser, right away it asks me to download the fandango app.

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 5.35.23 PM

So where do I stand on this issue? Well, I think I’m pretty indifferent to it. More and more companies are creating apps for their websites, but there will always be people using their mobile browser instead. For me it’s kind of like how they say newspapers are dying out (which they are), but there will always be a generation of people who prefer holding a newspaper than reading it online.

One Response to “Week 6”

1. Kyle Geissler said:

Generally, you should be cautious about declaring anything dead. Not that things don’t die, but they rarely die in the same way or at the same pace as anyone expects. Desktop and mobile web might be less important, but they’re far from dead.