Nov 13

Did Facebook have an Influence on the Election

th-2

It has been a long and stressful week for America. As most of you know the Presidential Election ended on Tuesday night (Basically 2am in the morning). The outcome is not what everyone expected especially the people who run Facebook. A article from the New York Times talks about they think and how Facebook had its influence in the election. Facebook has been in the eye of a post-election storm for the last few days, embroiled in accusations that it helped spread misinformation and fake news stories that influenced how the Americans were voting.

I can see where people are coming from because I remember seeing on Facebook that Clinton had this in the bag but that wasn’t the case. For this election, the media has played a bigger deal then ever before. We have Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter and these social media sites can influence anyone’s decision. There is nothing we can do now. So, we need to unite as a country and hope for the best.

2 comments

2 Comments so far

1. Caitlin Kirchner November 13th, 2016 2:35 am

Funny! I also just wrote about how Trump feels social media helped him win. I saw so much about Clinton winning as well, when clearly she didn’t. I absolutely think that social media helped the election, but what surprised me was the fact that 46% (I believe?) of people didn’t vote. They can’t say they forgot, since almost everyone is on social media. I would think that would have helped increase the turnout.

2. Kyle November 13th, 2016 3:39 pm

What responsibility does Facebook have in this situation? What should they have done differently? What should they do for the next election or major political event?