Advice,  Lessons

Internship schminternship

If you define yourself as a self-starter or independent thinker, you may think the idea of taking the time to find and pursue an internship is a waste. I too thought an internship may not be for me… but then I found one that opened my eyes.

My first internship was with Lauren Davis Creative. I assisted her with social media graphic production, social planning, event photography, and copywriter, I still do from time-to-time as a subcontractor. At the beginning, I was just jazzed to be able to work on a creative project that wasn’t assigned as homework, and something I could make money on. It was the first time I had capitalized on my creativity.

Above the simple tactics of social media marketing, design, and planning, I learned a lot of skills as an entrepreneur; things I would have never thought of. I learned about client relations, brand identity, contracts, and social content calendars. This internship was more than just a resume builder, it was a self-builder.

As I stated in one of my last posts, I have digested before I can move into freelance, I am going to have to earn some money working under someone else. I have started this journey with my second internship using my skills as a videographer for a Rockford NBC affiliate. This internship has also taught me many skills outside of the obvious technical skills.

Through NBC I have learned about the legality of different location shoots and how to access hidden, but public information. I have learned how to brainstorm and confidently express my ideas. I have learned how to gain trust through body language, humor, and empathy.

In short, don’t limit your growth by believing you do not need anyone to build. DO NOT rob yourself of what could be your biggest learning opportunity just for the sake of pride. No one on this earth is a self-made success story. Everyone utilizes someone or something to grow.